IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE
Medical Coding professionals play an important role as key players in the healthcare workplace. Health
information coding is the transformation of verbal descriptions of disease, injuries, and procedures
into numeric or alphanumeric designations.
In only 3 months you can learn the secret of breaking the codes and become a medical coder and solve the mystery of getting paid by insurance companies for the providers.
NIU College will prepare you to take on the role of a medical coder and be on your way to solving problems and helping patients and medical providers. Today is a great time to start what you have been putting off.
Classes are starting soon. Don’t wait. Complete the short form and get enrolled today.
Learn Medical Coding
Complete the secure form below to learn more about our affordable medical coding program.
We will not share your personal information with other individuals or organizations without your permission.
Graduate in about 3 Months
Quickly move on to a satisfying career with our fast-track training.
Get placement assistance, interview coaching, and complimentary resume building.
Study with the knowledge that no one can match our combined value and quality.
WHAT DOES A MEDICAL CODER DO?
After a patient seeks medical care, the provider needs to let the insurance company know what treatment or procedure was
done in order to get paid for their services.
A set of standardized specific codes have been established to explain medical procedures. Medical coders are responsible for
translating the treatments provided by physicians, clinics, or hospitals into these standardized codes for receiving payments from insurance companies for the services rendered by the medical facilities.
Medical Coding is a vital part of the health care industry and one of the greatest careers in the medical field.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MEDICAL BILLER AND MEDICAL CODER?
Medical Coding is a translation of medical procedures. Medical Coders learn how to translate a doctor’s diagnosis, medical procedures, outpatient procedures or even prescriptions into a numeric or alphanumeric code. For every injury, diagnosis, and medical procedure, there is a corresponding code. Medical Billing is turning these information and timely submission of bills to insurance companies, to pay the providers for the services rendered.
Now is a very good time to look at a career in Medical Coding. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Medical records and health information technicians earned a median annual salary of $40,350 in 2018. Medical Coding is one of the nation’s fastest-growing careers ( 13% from 2016-2026 ).
206,300 people were employed in the U.S. as medical records and health information technicians in 2016.
Medical Coders perform a variety of duties which include but is not limited to:
- Translate diagnosis and medical procedures into medical codes used by insurance and government agencies
- Have knowledge of ICD (International Classification of Diseases) and CPT (Current -Procedural Terminology)
- Interact with physicians and assistants to ensure the proper use of codes for treatments provided
- Ensure codes are accurate and in the correct order, in accordance with government and insurance regulations
- Maintaining patient confidentiality and information security
- Enter coding information in an online program to be converted into a medical bill
- Follow up with the provider on any documentation that is insufficient or unclear
- Communicate with other clinical staff regarding documentation
Medical Coders can find employment at a variety of healthcare institutions, including:
- Physician’s offices
- Nursing care facilities
- Home health care services
- Urgent Cares
- Insurance Companies
PROGRAM QUICK FACTS (SUMMARY)
|Program Duration||12 Weeks|
|Program Tuition and Cost||$4,925|
|Required National Testing||None|
|Certification Awarded||Diploma in Medical Coding|
COURSES YOU WOULD TAKE FOR THIS PROGRAM
|MC 101||Diagnosis Coding||80 Hours|
|MC 102||Procedure Coding||80 Hours|
|MC 103||Coding From Source Documents||80 Hours|
ADD UP ALL THE BENEFITS
Once you consider all the ways you benefit from the NIU College experience, it’s an easy decision to make. Join our NIU family today!
- Lowest Tuition in town
- Small class size – 15 max vs. 30-40 at other colleges
- Weekday or Weekend classes available
- Excellent placement rate – with placement assistance
- Books, scrubs, stethoscope, pressure cuff, and all other lab materials included
- Refresher courses at no charge
- Resume writing and mock interview skills
- Community-oriented, family-style setting offering personal recognition
- NHA, NCCT approved testing site with in-house proctoring